Monday, October 20, 2014

The Bands Played On and Other Monday Musings



All day Saturday, Pierce County High School had a band competition.  Forty high school bands competed in different divisions.  We dropped in on it near the end, about 6, and saw some of the bands from the larger schools compete.  They were very good.  I was surprised that they could supplement with recorded music, but I guess that must have been okay within the rules.  I was amazed at how so many students could move together so well.  And the quality of the music was very high.

The highlight was the exhibition that the Pierce County High band, called the Sounds of Silver, put on.  They only played from the band, with no outside music or narration, and they were truly awesome.  Alison, having been a member of the Sounds of Silver when she was in school, enjoyed it immensely.  Benjamin, who will be in high school next year, and a part of the band, got to see some of the stuff he will get to be a part of.  Guess we'll be going to a lot more football games and band competitions over the next few years!

I am looking forward to my extended weekend coming up starting this Thursday.  I get to use some of newly acquired additional vacation days (gone up this year from 12 days a year to fifteen - only took me fifteen years to earn them - woohoo!).  Much of our vacation budget was shot on the California trip, and on the refrigerator we had to replace last Friday, so I will be staying around here.  In fact, it will be designed to be a writing weekend - try to move forward my main two writing projects as much as possible.

I have been failing to send many stories out.  I would like to say that I'm too busy to focus on that, but the truth is that I'm terrified of rejection.  It takes a lot for me to concentrate on doing it, and controlling my fears.  My plan is now to complete my two bigger projects, and than to focus on shorter stories.  At least that is what I'm telling myself.

I would love to tell you about the movies I saw this weekend, but I can't.  We haven't been out to the movies in a while, and out TV watching at home has been concentrated on catching up on the series we DVRed while we were busy with The Dixie Swim Club. Of the new shows, I am enjoying Gracepoint the most, which is based on the British show Broadchurch.  Some are complaining it's an unnecessary remake.  Maybe, but I've only seen the first episode of the British original.  Gotham is pretty good, although I do worry about it being unsustainabley dark.  Alison like How to Get Away with Murder, but I am still unsure. I have to see if the plot and characters are strong enough to divert me from the unrealistic nature of some of the activities in it.  I have some of the same reservations about Scandal, but finally decided just to ignore its political unbelieveabilities and just try to relax and enjoy the ride.  I have seen three episodes of the streaming series Alpha House, and I have found it to much more credible than virtually any other political drama or comedy I have seen.  It has the involvement of Gerry Trudeau (Doonesbury) and the great political writer Johnathan Alter, and their influence has been a great positive in grounding the show.

The best show on broadcast television?  Still Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, of course.  Nothing else comes close.

The best show on cable? AMC's The Walking Dead, of course.  I have read now the first 96 issues of the comic book, and it is fascinating to see elements of the comics being weaved into the story.  Although is involved different characters, the ending of Sunday's episode came straight from the comic book.


Please note that we still have Sally available for adoption.  Great dog, beautiful brindle.  somebody is going to get a wonderful pet.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment